[Dixielandjazz] Thumbrest (was Miscellaneous Ramblings)

Aad Overeem aad.overeem at wanadoo.nl
Tue Jun 7 16:04:28 PDT 2005

Hello Larry and listmates,

I'm sorry to hear about your nerve damage Larry, and yes, the Etude does
hold your hand more or less in position, at last much more as the usual
thumbrest. The way I experience using the thumbrest it gives me a more firm
hand position and, very important, I need less 'gripping pressure.'
It takes some time to adjust the thumbrest to the best position and to get
used to it.
For me it worked great after some time, but I know there are people who
don't get used to it.

It's difficult to explain how it looks, but you can have a look at Ton
Kooiman's website, at
 http://www.tonkooiman.com/fr%20TK%20ergonomics.htm
there's a picture of the right hand position with the 'Etude' thumbrest.

If the Kooiman Etude is adjusted properly, much of the weight of the horn is
borne by the hook sticking from the right side,  but the end of the thumb is
still in about the "normal" position (under where the stock thumbrest would
be) in the dent in the
back of the body of the Kooiman.  So the clarinet should really be supported
in two places along the thumb which I find quite stable.

Hope this helps,

Aad Overeem