[Dixielandjazz] Re: Clarinet vs. Soprano

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Jun 7 14:07:19 PDT 2005

Actually I think that soprano fit's in well with the Dixieland band.  So far
as volume is concerned as we have all agreed that the soprano is louder.

The reason why I think that many do not care for the soprano is that the
horn has in most players hands the ability to sound like a duck in the lower
register and out of tune in the upper and just gets in the way.  In the
average players hands the soprano is a fearsome instrument capable of great
destruction.  Until a player is rock solid on the other saxes so far as
tonal concept and intonation he should never play a soprano and from what
I've seen most soprano players shouldn't even try.  That's why, I think,
most people prefer clarinet.  Most reasonably accomplished clarinet players
sound good.  I have had many high school players that sounded good on
clarinet but I maintain the soprano sax isn't a horn for even the pretty
good sax player.  Again you have to be rock solid (tone concept, intonation)
and in the case of an expert player the instrument has a very nice tone and
has every much a place in the Dixie band.  It's easier to put down the
instrument than to play it well or find someone who can.

The soprano sax just isn't a clarinet.  It has it's uses and clarinet has
its.

I play soprano because a nerve accident several years ago left me with the
inability to reliably close the holes on a normal clarinet and I have come
to appreciate the instrument for many reasons.  I have a closed hole plateau
clarinet but I only use it now for big band section work.  In the big band,
the soprano just does not fit very well if there is a section soli and I do
miss that extra low register range of the clarinet.

I think that it boils down to if you hate the soprano or prefer the clarinet
it's unlikely that you will ever change your mind.

Larry Walton
St. Louis