[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet or Soprano?

Tom Belmessieri tbelmo at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 07:40:57 PDT 2005

It's pretty much a given that the sop. sax is a much more powerful
instrument than the clarinet, and some may prefer using it (outdoors) just
so it can be heard.  Another point to consider though is that they are two
different instruments and make different kinds of sound.  Personally I
prefer the clarinet sound in a traditional dixieland front line because it
has more of a contrast to the brass instruments, especially the trombone.
Also, the sound does not come out the end of a clarinet, or any woodwind for
that matter, but rather the holes (unless they are all covered up).  So one
does not have to tilt one's head back to project the sound into the audience
as one suggested.  And what's wrong with using a mike?  Granted, I've had my
share of dealing with poor sound men, but if it's adjusted and balanced
right, one may not even realize the mike was on.

Well, there's my 2 cents from another usually silent absorber.

Tom B.