[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet or Soprano?

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Mon Jun 6 12:28:05 PDT 2005

It is nice to report,

My small Dixie band played at a three day air show last week, outside on
the airstrip where they tie down the planes for display.

We were keyboard, bass sax, drums and  me on clarinet.

I discovered that outdoors the soprano sax was a better choice than
clarinet as it had more projection and richer harmonics.

This was the best air show we ever did.  The manager said we were a
"legend".  Mark Allen Jones was on the keys.  Without him we would have
sounded ordinary.  I think the soprano also made a difference.

We did not have electricity for the keyboard and amp, so I bought a
"power pac" at Costco, which I now recommend to any band that does
outdoor work, not always close to electricity.  It's heavy, but a great
accessory  to power up mics   and electronic equipment.  One note, a
guitarist on one gig discovered his old "tube" amp buzzed with this
power source, but the fully "chipped" amps were OK.

Russ Guarino