[Dixielandjazz] Re: Live Recording - Sony mikes

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat Jun 4 15:28:35 PDT 2005

Thanks Paul.  I've been getting a lot of room noise at times which is OK but
since I can't be out front and play too sometimes it's difficult to get
everything balanced.  What sounds fine on the stand sometimes doesn't 10 ft
out.  I almost never play where I can string wires and often the audience is
only 5 ft away, almost in the band.  I really don't want to set up separate
recording sessions and that really isn't what I want all this for anyway.
Having said all that I would like to get a little better balance.  I find my
soprano cuts through even more than the trumpet so I have to hold back a
little which is also something I don't like to do.

Oh well I'll eventually get it right.

I have both of the Sony mikes.  One will record 120 and 90 degrees and the
other is fixed.  I haven't noticed any "hole" effect with them.  That is a
space in the middle that doesn't record as well.

Maybe someone uses the dual selectable mike and has a preference and might
let me know.
Thanks
Larry