[Dixielandjazz] The Mozart Effect

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Jun 4 11:20:51 PDT 2005

Eloquently said, Burt. I'd extrapolate in two ways...

Your citing of an Oriental anecdote seems just right insofar as the
psychology of Buddhism is geared specifically towards transcending
one's conditioning--one's "schemata"--and holding one's beliefs and
tastes lightly--without "belief perseverance." The free-floating
openness to experience of a Buddha-mind is different from skepticism,
or from any frozen stance. One can become a connoisseur of awareness
itself, learning and revising your learning freely while not becoming
attached to what's learned. As the song says, nice work if you and get
it.

The debate over the Mozart effect seems to be on a much smaller canvas,
probing not whether people can learn to enjoy Mozart but whether, when
exposed to his music, effects occur in the brain than enhance learning.

Charlie Suhor