[Dixielandjazz] Length Of CD

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 2 11:12:10 PDT 2005

Bob;

Although many look at the "standard" CD and say "80 minutes", the truth is
that it depends upon your burner and the CD itself. A typical burner can
overburn CD's. That is to say, you can get an additional 1 to 4 minutes on
an "80 minute standard" CD-R. Furthermore, there are some burners which
cannot burn a full 80 minutes! You can also purchase CD-R's with have a
rated capacity of 99 minutes. With overburning adding 2-4 minutes more.

Another factor is the software which is used - some are quite conservative
in the amount of music you can put on a CD.

Many newer CD players and especially DVD players with CD capabilities can
play mp3 format as well as the traditional wav format. If you have one of
these players, you can record many hours of mp3 formatted music on a blank
CD-R. Many young people take advantage of this to place hours of hip-hop on
a single CD.

I hope this answers your question. If you want more information, feel free
to contact me off-line.

Stan
Stan Brager