[Dixielandjazz] Ballin' The Jack

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Jun 1 07:28:01 PDT 2005

I have been playing their CDs on my show for years but AFAIK they have
not made it live to the West Coast yet. They are quite interesting in
the way they develop the OKOM  tunes into a much more modern (even
approaching "outside") jazz. I would venture to say that many on this
list would not like 'em much, but  those of us who stray  from the
"straight and narrow" will like them a lot.

Here is  my review of their 2nd CD I did for KFJC (we review all music
put into our library so the other DJs will have a clue:-)

> Ballin’ the Jack - “Big Head, the ” - [Knitting Factory Records]
>
> This 2nd installment from the group of KFR regulars is an outstanding
> look back to the days of big band jazz as it progressed through “Hot
> Jazz” to “Swing” to “Bop.” The adaptation and arrangements of both
> hits and somewhat obscure songs by Ellington, Coleman Hawkins, and
> others bring the genre into the 21st century with just a little
> kicking and screaming. Hot and tasty licks (including some from
> Anthony Coleman on the B3 organ this time) - even a Glenn Miller
> standard ballad is turned into a moody sax and bone gumbo (samples of
> a 30’s announcer and Miller Orchestra performance are blended into the
> mix.) Ballin’ the Jack have done the research well, and I think they
> had a lot of fun making this record. Not scary at all - just wonderful
> and varied - give any track a spin!

Dave Richoux