[Dixielandjazz] Bands of the 50s - Firehouse Five Plus Two

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 27 19:32:29 PDT 2005

Tradjazz said:

"Then there was the Firehouse Five Plus Two. This group put out some hot 78's. Even played at Turk's place on occasion, They were the group that got me started while I was a freshman in high school. Used to take my thirty-cent lunch money and save it until I could buy one of their records, which I believe were around a dollar or so at the time. Went hungry many times"

I agree they were an exciting and crazy band, although I only heard them on recordings - 45 rpms in my case and some of my first. I got the impression their main objective was to have fun.

Tradjazz said:

"As a side note, the revered Disney cartoonist, railroad nut and trombonist for the Firehouse Five recently died. Ward Kimball was a legend in his own time. Only jazz musician I know who had a full sized railroad in his back yard."

As an ex railway man back in my youth, I envy him that railroad. Actually Ward Kimball died in July 2002 and although as a trombonist I am aware of and liked his playing, I think he will be remembered mainly as one of the truly great film cartoonists:

http://disneyshorts.toonzone.net/artists/wardkimball.html

http://www.toyzine.com/magazine/auction/Ward-Kimball-auction.htm

Has a picture of Ward in firehouse garb and playing his trombone.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm030116skh.htm

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com