[Dixielandjazz] Famous west coast bands of the 50's

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Tue Jul 26 08:56:52 PDT 2005

dingle at baldwin-net.com wrote:

> Among the bands olaying inthe So. Ca area inthe 50's were:
> Red Nichols, Ben Pollack, Ted Vesley, Clyde Hurley, Rosey McHargue,
> Kid Ory (Beverly Caverns), Nappy LaMare's Louisiana Levee Loungers,
> and solo piano by Marvin Ash, Lee Countryman, and of course Pete
> Daley's Chicagoans. More than that, but those I heard regularly in the
> LA/Hollywood area.
> A good time -- even Wingy had a stand at the  Royal Room.
> Don Ingle

And let's not forget Joe Darensbourg with Mike Delay (tpt), Warren Smith
(Tbn), Harvey Brooks (pno), Georgie Vann (drm) and Al Morgan (bss) at
the Lark on Melrose and the Teagardens (Jack and Charlie) with Ash,
Morty Corb and Fatool and Matchbox at the Royal Room on Sunday afternoons.
Kindly,
Will Connelly