[Dixielandjazz] Stardust

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 20:05:43 PDT 2005

That sort of thing happens all the time, Bob, just not to everybody I
suppose, but I recall several times in the past thirty years of my
musical life that I was attempting to write a song and had not told
anyone or even put it out for anybody to hear and wham bam thank you
maam I heard the same melody and song composed and recorded and
released on the radio by someone I never heard of before.   There is no
real explanation for it but I suppose there are folks walking around
all over the world with the same melodies roaming around in their heads
just waiting to come out.   Weird, I say.   Perhaps many of us are
simply musical clones triggered biologically to emit the same musical
thoughts at the same or different times with no physical connection at
all.

This same situation happened to Edwin Hawkins who actually filed a
copyright on "OH HAPPY DAY"  and since the original composer was so
long dead and none of his relatives knew anything about it either he
got away with it and still collects all the royalties for it, and he
did not sing it either  Dorothy Morrison did.

"music content"
They're Coming to take me Away, Ha Ha, They're coming to take me away
ha ha!

  a big hit in the 60,s or 70,s at least in certain circles,  not okom
however.     Since so many Dixieland songs sound almost the same I
would guess it is safe to assume that this rare disease was more
prevalent in the 1920.s   eh?

Cheers,

Tom I heard it through the grapevine Wiggins  or was it I heard it
through the Grape Wine :))