[Dixielandjazz] Ladies and gentlemen ...

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 22 22:12:39 PDT 2005

Hello Judy

I'd like to think that the "ladies" are now "gentlemen" in the same way
that, to the young at least, we are all "guys". I doubt it, though   :-)

Could it be that, in jazz, the ladies are seen but not heard?

In the 1930s, the big band female singers were called "fem-chirps" (among
othert things!), so being an honorary gent might not be so bad.

But Earl Hines did refer to Billie Holiday as "a nice lady", and he was
being completely straight.

On behalf of the people,
Anton