[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey Stereo Film Clip + Mickey Rooneyfaking piano

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 22 14:35:43 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve barbone
To: DJML
Sent: 16 July 2005 15:39
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey Stereo Film Clip + Mickey Rooneyfaking
piano

Belated thanks to Steve B for sharing the link to this great piece of swing
footage. One of my all time favourites which I've had on VHS for many years
and on DVD since last year.

In fact one of my first questions to DJML when I joined back in October 1998
was, what ever happened to Ziggy's partner in that two trumpet sequence,
Chuck Peterson. Ziggy did a similar sequence with Graham Young in another of
TD's films, can't remember which off hand. It also contains one of my
favourite continuity boo-boos. At the start of the two trumpet piece Ziggy is
on the left end of the trumpet line as seen on screen. Following his solo
when all four trumpets fire up and are captured by another camera angle,
Ziggy miraculously appears on the right end of the trumpet line.

Listee's comments on Mickey Rooney's faking have been interesting but has
nobody else spotted the biggest fake in this clip ? Namely ..... the drummer.
The soundtrack drummer was Buddy Rich while the onscreen drummer was Maurice
Purtill. From what I read some years back this came about due BR being
drafted after the soundtrack was recorded but before the visuals were done.
MP may not have been in quite the same league as BR but his visual matching
of BR's playing is quite outstanding from what little can be seen of him
tucked up at the back of the band.
~=~
 John,
        Suffolk, England.