[Dixielandjazz] Martin's 78 Turntable and Sheik, s Dixieland Fake Books

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 14:12:32 PDT 2005

John Wolf Wrote (snipped by me)

    From: "John Wolfe" <n2xbw at northnet.org>
    Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Fantastic New Source of OKOM
    78's on MP3!
    To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

    Friends,
    I have discovered a wonderful source of vintage OKOM
    and other greats on 78's. It's a Japanese website
    called Martin's 78 Turntable.  It can be found at:
    http://78.switch.co.jp/tunes.html.

<SNIP!>

I went there and downloaded a number of files of tunes that
I wanted to hear.

Listened to "Since My Best Girl Turned Me Down" by Bix, and
looked at the lead sheet on Sheik's Vol 1, p 168, and, as
Sheik notes on the sheet, it is note-for-note what's on the
Bix recording. Sweet!

Then I listened to Bix's "Louisiana", following along on
Vol 1, p 116 -- similar setup.

Just got Vol 2 from Sheik yesterday, and am eager to start
playing my way through it.

Sheik has done a great job with these two books!

It's nice to have access to recordings of some of the tunes
in the books, too.

Descriptions, tune lists, and ordering info for fkae books
at

	http://americanmusiccaravan.com/books.html

Larry Swain