[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan Russell

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 19 07:54:59 PDT 2005

bennyth at bennyth at ev1.net wrote:

> Steve:  It seems as tho I will never get to hear this "wonderful" youngster
> perform. as I cannot attend mentioned programs where he is to appear.  What
> is the possibility of having maby a short clip of his musicianship put on
> one of your e-mails, that we may hear his "genius" that you are so proudly
> relating to DJMLers.  Just (very) curious.  Regards, Benny........

Hi Benny & Listmates:

Try the following link for some of his music. Bear in  mind that they are
"older" plus fidelity is not so hot. But if you can ignore that, you will
hear an amazing 10 year old (8 or 9 for the clips) jazz player.

http://www.geocities.com/jonathanjazz/video.htm

Here is a report on his gig last night with Randy Reinhart:

"Jonathan played with Randy Reinhart tonight. (He's fabulous- what a
gorgeous sound!) I think Randy was impressed with Jonathan. They did some
trading- Randy gave him some really hard licks, but Jonathan didn't miss too
much. Randy said it would be cool to do a gig with you and Jonathan
sometime..."

Points to the fun you can have with Jonathan if you trade 8s, 4s, and then
2s. When you go first, he plays back to you a variation of the break you
took. He even shot back a vibrato two string version of my flutter tonguing
on a two bar break last Sunday.

Cheers,
Steve