[Dixielandjazz] Mickey Rooney-Catlett?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Jul 18 11:22:13 PDT 2005

Did someone already say who was the real drummer behind Rooney with
Louis's band in "The Strip"? My memory was that it was Sid Catlett. I
don't think that Barrett Deems was with in the All-Stars yet (1951).
Also in the band was Teagarden, Bigard, Hines, (???) on bass. Maybe
someone has the recording and can clarify.

Actor Willam Demarest mimed piano playing, sometimes in duet with
Hines, so there probably been a second jazz pianist playing briefly,
Trivial footnote, not OKOM--Demarest was on the old sitcom "My Three
Sons' (mid-60s) with Fred MacMurray. The theme song had a subtle touch.
Behind the melody, "Chop-Sticks" was played on a keyboard in half-note
triplets.

Charlie