[Dixielandjazz] What's in name?

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Sun Jul 17 14:57:15 PDT 2005

The recent postings on music in church and for funerals and also on
political correctness reminded me of the very few times my band's name has
been deemed unacceptable for the venue. We are "Dr. Dubious and the
Agnostics", loosely derived from the Smith and Dale vaudeville sketch, "The
Last Living Patient of Doctor Cronkite(sp?)". We were verbally riffing on
"Mister (or Doctor) Dubious" as the punch line and progressed to adding
"agnostics" to the "doctor".

When very rare objections have been raised, we are happy to perform and
publicize as "Doctor Dubious". I even have two cards and two letterheads
made up. We want to play and will work out any aspects of programming and
cooperate with our clients.

We were once introduced by the pastor at a Lutheran church just before we
processed to "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" as the very special service
music for that day by a band called, "believe it or not, Dr. Dubious and the
Agnostics." She captured the spirit of our naming perfectly by suggesting
that, "perhaps by the end of the service they will be able to form an
opinion."

Regards,

Tom Duncan