[Dixielandjazz] The secret Union.

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Jul 17 12:22:26 PDT 2005

To my listmates and Musicians in St. Louis

As most of you know I have picked on several of the big bands here in St. Louis because they are typically run by rich guys who don't care how much they pay and seem to be content with not always the best musicians in town.  I have talked to many of the musicians in these bands as well as the leaders about the low pay.

Typically the pay is $50 or less and out of town might pay $75.  Some of the guys drive considerable distances to play these gigs and have other expenses such as getting their Tux cleaned and sometimes parking fees.

The bands are good enough to command higher pay for the members.  Then why don't they?  All the big bands are pretty much lock stepped with each other in price.  The leaders say that they will not be able to sell the bands for more and that their gigs would go away if they raised their prices.  I know that's not true but why do the members of the bands support the low prices.

It finally dawned on me that it's sort of a reverse union that conspires to low pay.  Why?  It's because if they paid more then the better players would start wanting the jobs and create competition whereas they might lose their chairs.  They would then have no place to go. This is a means to keep us out or force us play on their terms.

It's sort of a trade off.  The hobby musician is very protective of his chair and this enforces loyalty to the group which is good for the band leader.  The musician learns the book and has musical credibility within the group but may have next to none with other bands.  So the groups often play fairly well and have reached a level that makes everyone in the group happy and certainly could command higher prices if they wanted to do it.

The explanation is so elegant and simple.  I can't believe that no one came up with it.

These guys have never said it and no one would admit to it nor did they all get together and plan it.  I think that's how the group dynamic works in  hobby bands.  The trouble is that they drag down the pay for everyone else.

It's time to drop out of that union even though the dues are cheap.

Larry Walton
St, Louis