[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey Film Clip with Mickey Rooney

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Jul 16 22:43:32 PDT 2005

Leonard Maltin wrote that he played piano and drums.  I found another
reference to him playing jazz piano in the show he puts on with his wife (
http://www.trekortreat.com/rooney.htm ),so that would explain the excellent
faking of playing the piano.

He may have played his own drums.  I have no idea if he was a good player,
though, so that's purely speculation, but apparently there are pictures
extant of Rooney playing drums at the Stagedoor Canteen during WWII.

Hal Vickery