[Dixielandjazz] Playing for the Senator

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Sat Jul 16 11:00:58 PDT 2005

dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com writes:
>Now-the problem and question-The party treasury is kinda low, so only
>four
>musicians can be paid-not even able to skim a few bucks from each of the
>four
>to  include a fifth (musician, that is) Assuming that the cornet,
>clarinet and
>trombone are a given- WHAT is your fourth choice?? Tuba or bass? Banjo?
>Drums?  acoustic guitar? Significant other? This COULD happen to you some
>day.

I had a similarly strange gig at one time: playing nonstop as the
competitors for a martial arts competition marched into the arena. A solid
thirty minutes! I was the tuba player, and even at two beats per measure,
played more at that gig than I usually do in three hours!

At any rate, the instrumentation was cornet, soprano sax, banjo, tuba, and
it worked quite well. Giving up one of the front line in favor of
additional rhythm made a lot of sense, especially since both the banjo and
the tuba could solo competently.

--Dick Miller