[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Free

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Jul 16 09:20:56 PDT 2005

Hi RUS:

There apparently are a lot of musicians on this very list doing exactly
that and  a lot of it too

Guys like Steve Barbone and I have been telling the list for several
years now that you don't have to do that, nor do you have to work
school assemblies for little or nothing either,  there are funds
available for  those assemblies and many ways to go get them
supplemented as well. Contact the P.T.A.  and the Music Parents club at
the schools, ORGANIZE a concert for them and charge them $10.00 a head
donation, sell them CDs, T-shirts etc.   Get organized like a real
business and not just a hobby band and then work at it and be creative
and you can and will start to see results financially.

   Musicians just seem to be content for the most part to sit back and
wait for that big Ole Yellow Union Gig bus to drive up to their house
and fetch em for a good high paid gig with free meals and booze.  The
problem seems to be with most musicians that they simply don't want to
WORK and think that because they have this wonderful talent that the
world will just come to them and throw money at them to make a few
joyful or mournful noises.    Well sorry folks but not in the Real
world.

It never worked like that folks and it never will, you have to get off
your lazy butt and go make those gigs happen and there is a lot more to
playing a gig than just playing music too, like networking with the
folks at the event you were hired for and seeking out all the potential
new gigs that always come from any gig you play if you open your eyes
and ears and look for them.

Pass out those cards and flyers and calendars about where and when you
are playing so those folks will join  your fan base and show up at
other events you play at proving to the folks who might be hiring  you
that you do have folks that will come out and see you and SPEND money.
  It all takes money, and if you don't spend money to make money you
will not make money, period, at least never any significant money.

Cheers

 Rev. Tom -Bob  Wiggins
Same old Sermon, Same Old Audience