[Dixielandjazz] politically correct?

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 16:37:50 PDT 2005

When I was teaching a music appreciation class for 9th graders the principal
called me into his office and accused me of making racial slurs.  You could
have knocked me over with a feather.  I searched my brain for any possible
thing that I might have said and drew a total blank.  I asked if the student
would make the accusation to my face and the kid was called in.  He said
that I had called black people "Jigs".  It all came clear to me when he said
that he knew what "Jigs" were.  The class had been covering the history of
dance and I had talked about Irish Jigs and clogging as part of muic history
along with a lot of other kinds of dances.  Sometimes people only hear what
they want to hear.
Larry
St. Louis