[Dixielandjazz] Political Correctness

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 15 11:26:42 PDT 2005

Below is my reply to an off list conversation about political correctness
and music. Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

I agree that it is a little strange to sing a song written for the other
gender, but that is our personal opinion and singers have disregarded it
throughout history. And agree again that there are some songs that are not
really proper these days to present like those you mention.

I think the main point I would make about Political Correctness is that if
it is offensive to a "large group" then perhaps it should not be said or
done.  However, if it is just one or two person's opinion, as in the case of
the Darktown example given,  it is simply an opinion and there are so many
opinions out there that if we tried to follow them all, we'd go crazy.

Interestingly enough about "explanations",  I find with Barbone Street that
in the case of these tunes, e.g. Shine,  the one minute preface about who
wrote it and why, is appreciated by the audience and reinforces our band to
audience connection.  Shine is one of our show stopper numbers and Blacks in
the audience come up and voice their appreciation for it. And for the
history lesson, which ties into the NY Times post yesterday about some of
the older musicians who counsel and impart wisdom to the audience. IMO, that
goes with the musical territory.

And being older musicians, we need as much time between numbers as these
little patters provide and so I've developed a whole bunch of song
explanations, jokes, facts about band members, etc. It keeps the program
moving along, builds a bond with the audience and results in our being hired
back by the venue, as well as in additional gigs from audience members. Bear
in mind that Barbone Street plays for a variety of audiences which run the
gamut of age, race, religion, color and knowledge about jazz.

Also interesting, as you mention, is the ability of a Black, or Italian, to
poke fun at his/her own race. Chris Rock can talk about "Niggers" and Steve
Barbone can talk about "Wops". And I do frequently mention "Guido" in some
of my patter between numbers.

One favorite is when introducing band members, I will say We're all Italians
in this band except one, and I bet you know who that guy is"  Audience
titters because one player is Black.  I then go on to introduce Glenn Dodson
the trombone player and the audience now laughs because it is the trumpet
player who is the Black. When I introduce him later, I say he is Sicilian,
Paolo Grante, instead of Paul Grant etc. Both Blacks and Whites in the
audience love it.

A large part of what makes our band so successful is "audience connection".
Those bands that do not connect, are those that still can't find work. In
that regard, what we do and say, is just as important as how and what we
play.