[Dixielandjazz] Source for picture of Louis Armstrong'sOriginalAll Stars

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Fri Jul 15 10:51:47 PDT 2005

Fred;

Certainly Wilson is correct when he points to the Town Hall concert as the
de facto beginning of Louis Armstrong and The All-Stars. In a similar
fashion, we can also point to the earlier Esquire concert as being the start
of the All-Star grouping. Even earlier, there are the excellent Armstrong
1940 recordings with Sidney Bechet, Luis Russell, Claude Jones, Zutty
Singleton and others. All of these can be claimed as the "original all star"
configuration.

However, when we look to what was the permanent all star group under
contract to Louis Armstrong (and his management) and when we realize that
this was the organization which was to be taken out on the road, we must
then revert to the group which played Billy Berg's club in August 1947.
Remember, Joe Glasser was initially against Louis playing the Town Hall
concert. The idea for the concert is credited to Ernie Anderson who hired
the players for this one event, arranged for the hall, saw to the publicity
and had a tough time convincing Joe Glasser that Louis should play there.
Furthermore, Sidney Bechet was supposed to be on the bill but he never
showed up.

The playbill for the Town Hall concert states that this would be "A Midnight
Variety Concert Starring" and then there's a picture of Louis Armstrong
playing a flugelhorn or cornet (I'll make you a copy if you wish). No other
names are given other than Fred Robbins the MC and producer Ernest Anderson.
(source: French RCA CD of the Town Hall concert liner notes. That CD is
named "Louis Armstrong At Town Hall" with no mention of the all stars.)

Yes, the seeds for the All-Stars came earlier than the Billy Berg club date.
The seed for the Benny Goodman trio is said to have come from a party at Red
and Mildred Norvo's apartment around 1933-34. Glenn Miller fronted and
recorded with the Bob Crosby band several years before he formed his own
band. Yet, few look to those recordings as the original Glenn Miller
orchestra.

Regarding your question about RCA Victor issuing a recording from the
concert under the credit of "Louis Armstrong And His All-Stars", this was a
bit of press agentry inasmuch as that group really never existed as such
(see the Glenn Miller example above). As you pointed out, the players
included Bobby Hackett, Peanuts Hucko and Bob Haggart who were never part of
Louis Armstrong and His All-Stars.

Consider what would have happened to Armstrong's career if the Town Hall
concert were not successful.

To sum up, your question asked about Louis Armstrong's original All-Star
band. If you're looking for the band which was organized under Louis
Armstrong's leadership and management, the answer is sometime around August
1947.

So far no one has come up with the picture which was your initial request.
I've searched my stuff with no success to date.

Stan
Stan Brager

PS: I've just looked at the liner notes for the MCA (Decca) recording of
"Satchmo At Symphony Hall" recorded on November 30, 1947. It says that the
play bill reads in part "by arrangement with Joe Glasser, Louis Armstrong
and his Concert Group, featuring Jack Teagarden, Sidney Catlett, Barney
Bigard, Dick Cary, Arvell Shaw, and Velma Middleton."

It's interesting that the All-Star moniker was not used.