[Dixielandjazz] No room for "political correctness" in jazz!

Snogpitch snogpitch at prodigy.net
Thu Jul 14 18:58:02 PDT 2005

I went to a concert on the 4th of July to hear Pat Benatar and one of the
songs the band performs reluctantly is "Hit Me with Your Best Shot".  For
those unfamiliar with this band, this song (1980) was the band's first gold
single, and peaked at #9 on the Pop charts.  Pat announced how she hated
just the final verse of the song, but since the band receives so many
requests for it, they felt pressured and obligated to do the song.  As a
compromise, Pat suggested the audience sing the final verse.  When that time
came, the band continued to play as she pointed the microphone towards the
audience, and the audience in turn sang the hated verse.  Following are
those lyrics:

Well you're the real tough cookie with the long history
Of breaking little hearts, like the one in me
Before I put another notch in my lipstick case
You better make sure you put me in my place

The song continued, regardless of how Pat felt about the lyrics.  The fans
applauded anyway.

--
Snogpitch

snogpitch at prodigy.net