[Dixielandjazz] Source for picture of Louis Armstrong'sOriginalAll Stars

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jul 14 11:08:15 PDT 2005

Fred;

To set the stage for the coming of the all star concept, let's remember that
by 1946, the stature and the financial rewards of the big bands had fallen
dramatically. Louis Armstrong was no exception to this phenomenon. Satchmo
had appeared with small groups on V-Discs, Esquire concerts, Carnegie Hall
and Town Hall. These engagements were merely one time shots and did not
represent themselves as Louis Armstrong organizations in any way. Louis'
organization consisted of an 16 piece big band.

While the Town Hall concert featured many of the players who would later
become part of Armstrong's All-Stars, this was a concert with Louis with a
group of jazz stars but without his regular band at the time. Furthermore,
the Town Hall concert was produced by Ernie Anderson who hired the players.
It wasn't until the concert was shown to be a financial success that Joe
Glasser (Louis' manager) decided to drop the band in favor of the All-Star
concept. The rest is well-known.

By the way, there were 2 drummers at Town Hall - Big Sid played the first
half and George Wettling the second half.

This information comes from Dan Morgenstern's liner notes to the RCA CD
"Pops: The 1940's Small-Band Sides", The Time-Life Giants Of Jazz - Louis
Armstrong with "Notes on the music" by John S. Wilson, and the French RCA CD
"Louis Armstrong At Town Hall" with notes by Daniel Nevers and Iraskli De
Davrichewi.

Stan
Stan Brager