[Dixielandjazz] politically correct?

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 19:23:17 PDT 2005

Hello I

How does one keep political correctness out of jazz performances today? I
enjoyed Rick Knittel's description of a jazz funeral he played. The deceased had
 a special fondness for the "Darktown Strutters Ball"  which is one of my
favorites also. Our occasion was a "freebie" for the United Way banquet.  (more
on "freebies" later)   I suggested playing the "Strutters"  (heck, I had put
the group together a year earlier) and the clarinetist  immediately objected as
there was an African-American in the room. We weren't  planning to sing
it-just play it. I scratched the song from the set.

How do you active musicians handle this? Do you toss all tunes that  have any
racial connotation "Black and Blue": comes to mind - along with a whole  host
of jazz standards used by Bessie Smith et.al.

Just wondering------

Tradjazz