[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Funerals

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 12:57:18 PDT 2005

Larry asked about Jazz Funerals:

We've done a bunch over the years, but not so many now. basically because
they are "short notice" and we are too busy. Had to turn down 4 so far this
year. Have not advertised to Funeral Directors. They come by word of mouth
since the deceased and family were fans and knew about us.

Structure?

They are ALL different. Usually come about because the deceased loved N.O.
Jazz etc., and the family is trying to honor an express wish to include the
music.

Have done from quartet to 8 piece. Have charged from $100 per sideman to
$400 per side man. (double for leader) For a two hour time slot.

No two have ever been the same. Basic problem is that you usually have 24-48
hour notice and that just doesn't work for us any more since we got so busy.
(E.G. booked over 110 gigs from May through August)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone