[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Funerals

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 12:06:19 PDT 2005

Played many jazz funerals, the most unusual tunes, "I'm Glad Your Dead,
You Rascal You" and "Little Sunflower" both were special requests from
the deceased.  The price is whatever is the norm for the area, I can't
get away with $200 per person, but in some areas I imagine you can.  I
used the most mobile band possible, trpt, trombone, clarinet, banjo or
guitar with a portable amp, sometimes a tuba, and drums.  When my
sister in law passed recently, we used all seven of us and played "Gone
Fishin" and a couple of spirituals "Amazing Grace" and "Closer".  We
played  Amazing in 4 and in a swing tempo, rather than the customary
tempo, which brought a smile to everyones face.  I guess the bottom
line is, know your audience, as what we have done in some funerals
would not be accepted in others.  Just hiring a jazz band for a funeral
is going to denote some degree of acceptance to the music that is being
played.
later,

Randy Fendrick,
Southside Chicago Seven