[Dixielandjazz] Old f***ts memory & Acker Bilk

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 11 23:45:11 PDT 2005

Don Ingle said :-

"The trouble is that many old farts have little memory left -- but at  least they meet new people every day."

Andy Ling said:-

"Which allows me to tell the story Acker Bilk told last night....... etc., etc.

Acker Bilk was playing with his Paramount Jazz Band. And despite being in his 70s still blows a mean clarinet. The rest of the band were Enrico Tomaso (tpt) Ian Bateman (tbn) Colin Wood (pno) Malcolm Creese (bass) and Richie Bryant (drums)

They played a selection of good old standards and the obligatory Stranger on the Shore.

It was a great end to a great weekend."

And from me:-

I am pleased to hear that Acker is still blowing so well.

The last time I heard him play was in Melbourne quite a few years back and I think that was the tour where the New Melbourne Jazz Band were the supporting act. Ross Anderson reminded me it only a couple of days back when we were corresponding about a topic I put on this List.

I followed Ackers thump, thump band during the 50s and 60s in the UK and I used to love his corny announcing style and jokes:

"Good night folks, and remember - if it was not for Venetian blinds it would be curtains for the lot of us!"

And the ongoing gag:

"Someone has just found and handed in a bunch of keys. We think this one is the key of A Flat"

Ouch! But you really had to be there.

Ah, wheel out the Tardis and take this OF back.

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com
Website: http://tromjazz.netfirms.com