[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tailgate Party

jsbarque at netscape.net jsbarque at netscape.net
Mon Jul 11 19:09:49 PDT 2005

Bill. Listmates
the equivalent of a tailgate party would have to be an event called a "Pleasant Sunday Afternoon" held at an Australian Rules football club. I did a few 25 years with ago Frank Traynor with his Jazz Preachers at the South Melbourne (The Swans) footy ground in the days when footy was only played on Saturday afternoon and all the local community was involved. Big, happy crowds, plenty of beer and pies, entertainment for the kids and, Frank Traynor's band was a fixture. We would even play at the Grand Finals going around the oval at the MCG (Melb Cricket Ground) on the back of a truck at half time in front of over 100,000 footy fans. Frank was a genius at getting work around Melbourne for his 6-piece band and, many local traditional jazz players spent time in it. Peter Gaudion, trumpet in Chris Ludowyk's Society Syncopators is brobably best qualified to give uncensored accounts of Frank and the band at big rorts like the pleasant sunday afternoons.

Big business has taken over Aussie Rules and hardly any of the clubs are community based. The Swans have moved to Sydney. Games are played from Friday to Sunday. There is still a bit of OKOM involved, mainly trio gigs booked by agents.

when in Melbourne, check the VJC website for what is on:
http://www.victorianjazzclub.com/