[Dixielandjazz] FW: Frances Langford

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jul 11 16:44:12 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear friends,
>This item, via the Australian Dance Band list, will be of nostalgic interest
>to many of you.
>
>  Singer Frances Langford Dies at 91
>  - By TERRY SPENCER, Associated Press Writer
>  Monday, July 11, 2005
>
>  Frances Langford, whose steamy rendition of "I'm in the Mood for Love"
>captivated soldiers stationed overseas on Bob Hope's tours during World War
>II, died Monday. She was 91.
>
>  Langford died at her home in Jensen Beach, her secretary Kim Stanton said.
>
>  Langford, a recording artist, radio star and actress from the 1930s to
>1950s, joined Hope's troupe to boost wartime morale at military bases and
>hospitals through Great Britain, Italy, North Africa and the South Pacific.
>She entertained a new generation of soldiers in Korea and Vietnam.
>
>  Even with her hair swept up in a bandanna, the petite singer (she was
>5'1") was a glamorous vision of home. She became known as the "Sweetheart of
>the Fighting Fronts."
>
>  Langford appeared in 30 movies, including "Broadway Melody,""Yankee Doodle
>Dandee" and "The Hit Parade." She played herself in her final film, 1954's
>"The Glenn Miller Story." Her trademark was "I'm in the Mood for Love,"
>written for her for the 1935 movie, "Every Night at Eight."
>
>  Her most famous role may be as the insufferable wife Blanche opposite Don
>Ameche on the popular 1940s radio comedy, The Bickersons.
>
>  She recalled in interviews decades later that entertaining the troops "was
>the greatest thing in my life."
>
>  "We were there just to do our job, to help make them laugh and be happy if
>they could," Langford told The Associated Press in January 2002.
>
>  Langford was born in Lakeland in April 1914. She was discovered by
>bandleader Rudy Valee while he was in Florida for a performance. He heard
>her sing and the next week invited her to be a guest on his radio program in
>New Orleans.
>
>  She moved to Hollywood after a brief stint in the Broadway musical "Here
>Goes the Bride" in 1931. She appeared on Louella Parson's radio show
>"Hollywood Hotel," and began to appear in movies.
>
>  She was singing on Hope's Pepsodent Show when he held his first military
>program at March Field in Riverside, Calif., in 1941. The response was so
>positive he continued broadcasting from U.S. training bases and asked
>Langford to join him. Soon there were enough soldiers overseas to bring his
>variety show to them.
>
>  Langford wrote a daily newspaper column, "Purple Heart Diary," about her
>war experiences and later starred in a movie of the same name.
>
>  After World War II, she was singing in nightclubs when she met outboard
>motor heir Ralph Evinrude. They married in 1955 and moved to her 400-acre
>estate in Jensen Beach, 100 miles north of Miami. (Her first marriage was to
>actor Jon Hall.)
>
>  The couple built a Polynesian-themed restaurant and marina on the Indian
> [...]
Bill: Thanks for passing on this news. Langford also did a summer radio
show with Spike Jones, and most show were taped live before army
hospitals and navy hositals along the coast. The GI's were truly the
best audience any musician or singer every had Here first husband, Jon
Hall, he of the many South Seas Island and Arabian Nights type movies,
was punched out once by Tommy Dorsey. Broke his pretty nose and he was
never quite as handsome on camera. While Tommy was noted for a quick
temper, all who were there said that Hall had it coming.
Francis was a nice lady, and a real pro. When she switched from the more
glamorousroles to that the shrewish housewife on the Bickersons she left
a legacy of  someone who had an amazing sense of timing -- the tapes
show it so well.
Here's to a real pro, Francis Langford, the lady the troops loved to see.