[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tailgate Party

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jul 11 06:38:30 PDT 2005

Robert S. Ringwald wrote:

> The description of a party usually before a football game in the
> parking lot, is correct.
>
> When I used to play in a Dixieland band outside of the coliseum for
> the Los Angeles Raiders, we would play 3 hours, from 10:00 AM - 1:00
> PM.  You would not believe some of the parties that the fans would throw.
>
> Of course, as one Listmate said, it all started, & the name came about
> from dropping down the tailgate of a pickup or station wagon to either
> unload the food & booze, or to sit on or use as a table.
>
> Some of the fans at the Raider's games would get very elaborate,
> bringing tables, white table cloths, crystal wine glasses, grills, &
> hiring professional chefs.
>
> We would have trouble making it all the way around the stadium to play
> the last half hour at the press gate because of all of the food &
> liquid refreshment that we would be offered.
>
> Five minutes before the game started, as we would be playing the press
> gate, Magic Johnson would always come in with a few of his friends.
> He never missed a game.
>
> I remember when he got married.  It was on a Saturday, somewhere back
> east. The next day, we were taking bets as to whether Magic would show
> up.  Sure enough, at exactly five minutes to 1:00, there he was with
> some of his friends, & no wife.
>
> Now, there's a fan!
>
> --Bob Ringwald K6YBV
> Placerville, CA USA
>
> "There are three kinds of men:
> The ones that learn by reading.
> The few who learn by observation.
> The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for
> themselves."
> --William Penn Adair (Will) Rogers B: 11/4/1879 D: 8/15/1935

The ultimate Tailgate Party is for the Green Bay Packers home games at
Lambeau Field. First, understand you cannot  go buy a ticket for the
game. All tickets are held by season ticket holders who may wait for
years to be eligible to buy them. People sign up their new born to get
on the waiting list and that babe in arms may be a person of 20's to
30's before their names are called. Season ticket ownerhsip, held for
life, cannot be inherited so everybody that gets on the ticket holder
list must have started at the end of the line. The season ticket holder
maintains the right tobuy the tickets every year for life, but if they
ever fail to purchase them, they are out of the loop and back to the end
of line, so this prized right is guarded closely. This team is owned,
uniquely, not by a corporation but by the people of Green Bay, and they
support the team financially even though they might never reach the
ticket holder status. These "Cheeze Heads" are loyal to the team and
they turn out in huge numbers to party tailgate style --  before and
after the game. Parking lots have TV screens to show the highlights. And
even in snowstorms and icy drizzle, they party on regardless.
As I said,  this is the ultimate football tailgate party and nearly as
much a part of the team effort as any plays made on the field.
They give the term..."let's Par-TEE!"  a whole new meaning.
Don (who has attended one of these wild-ass tailgates at Green Bay) Ingle