[Dixielandjazz] Mich Fest?

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 9 16:36:42 PDT 2005

Hi Jerry and others interested.

There are no OKOM festivals in SE Michingan, but there is a lot of OKOM at
the Firefly Club in Ann Arbor.  Check out www.fireflyclub.com for all the
info.  In the Detroit area, Tom Saunders plays every other Thursday at
Marge's Bar in Grosse Pointe Park.  There will be some OKOM at the Michigan
Jazz Festival on the grounds of Schoolcraft College in Livonia (western
suburb of Detroit) on Sunday July 17th (Tom Saunders and also the Paint
Creek Jazz Band-there's also a stage with big bands all day).

The Detroit Jazz Festival over Labor Day Weekend doesn't usually have much
OKOM (though the Hot Club of Detroit will probably be playing there and
there's supposed to be a New Orleans brass band--Regal Brass Band?), but if
you like anything more modern, Dave Brubeck, McCoy Tyner, Toots Thieleman,
Joe Zawinul and Joey DeFrancesco are all scheduled for this year, and it's
an excellent festival.

A good web site for Detroit and Ann Arbor jazz is www.semja.org.  A complete
schedule for the Michigan Jazz Festival is on that Web site.  Both festivals
are free.

All the best,
Rob McCallum