[Dixielandjazz] The nature of chord progressions for an Eddie Condon sounding band.

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Jul 8 19:03:13 PDT 2005

Remember Condon's immortal witticism?--"The be-boppers flat their
fifths--We drink ours."

Another major consideration for getting a style/era-related sound,
beyond chords, is how the guys "comp." Modern comping is wholly
different setting of course from stride, laying down 4, etc. This goes
for drummers, too. In Condon's bands, Wettling was the classic
brilliant Dixieland player, a great colorist but always in the Dixie
traditon--while Buzzy Drootin sometimes dropped bass drum "bombs." It
could change the feeling but in its own way it worked. Some wonderful
rhythm sections have kicked Dixieland bands with very modern chords and
comping. Some of the best I've heard were John Probst and Jack Sperling
with Pete Fountain, and Fred Crane, Jay Cave, and Jimmy Zitano with Al
Hirt in the 60s. Today, Shannon Powell and Ernie Elley know how to
blend styles well in New Orleans bands. I'm sure there are many others.

Charlie Suhor