[Dixielandjazz] Tricks of the trade

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Jul 7 17:29:21 PDT 2005

Some use modeling clay to raise the baffle  in the mouthpiece. Modeling clay
will hold it's shape better and not introduce sugar into the barrel and pads
of your horn.  It's easy to remove too.

Usually raising the baffle  isn't desirable in clarinet mouthpieces causing
the tone to be harsher but saxes are a different animal.  The high baffle
gives a more bright jazz tone.  I use a high baffle mouthpiece on my Bari
sax so that I have an edgy sound for solos and for more projection.  My bari
mouthpiece definitely isn't for classical concert work.

If you want to try a high baffle mouthpiece on the cheap buy a Rico Royal
Jazz mouthpiece.  I don't know if they make them for clarinets but they do
make them for saxes.  There is a mouthpiece maker (German I think -- Rohn??)
that features a moveable, adjustable baffle sax mouthpiece.  I tried one and
it does work but I liked the mouthpieces that I was using more so It was
just a passing thought.

Clarinet players usually  try for the opposite and try for a warmer tone.
You can buy stick in devices from www.woodwindbrasswind.com for this purpose
but if you want more edge you can try the modeling clay trick and if you
like it you could try a little automotive body putty or other epoxy to raise
the baffle to the point that you like.

When I had my Wells custom alto mouthpiece made, Frank worked down the
baffle till it was what I wanted.

The best trick for the clarinet player is to pump lots of air.  It's all
about air.  Without good support and a good embouchure you won't ever get
good projection on the horn.  There's no easy way.  Always play to the back
of the room.

Larry
St. Louis