[Dixielandjazz] Re: female tuba eupher

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Jul 7 09:17:28 PDT 2005

Charlie Hooks wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 6, 2005, at 09:33 PM, dingle at baldwin-net.com wrote:
>
>> I did mention here and also sent a tape of the group Chicago Jazz
>> (mono) I made at Central City, CO to Dan Augustine who was ocllecitn
>> tuba example..
>> Louise was (and is as far as I know) an excellent tubist, and a good
>> jazz player on that horn. Solid rhythm player
>> and good  at soloing.
>> Have not heard much of here for years.
>> She certainly is worthy of being on any list of good tuba players.
>> Hey, I also brought up Crhris Stind, another fine played.
>> And Wallbanger (Mike Wallbridge) is among the best around.
>> Don Ingle
>>

> Have to admit, I never heard of Louise (my bad, not hers); but have
> heard of and played with for many years Chris Stend and the great
> Wallbanger, Mike Wallbridge.   Both are first rate players.  Chris
> Stend I've played with for twenty years and much admire. Wallbridge is
> a special friend of more than twenty years and have enjoyed him drunk
> and sober through jobs too numerous to mention.  But a couple: one
> dead winter outer suburb Chicago gig, Mike and I and Buddy Lee on
> banjo.  Fun gig.  Went to load up afterward, super cold night; Mike
> says, you guys stay here, I'll go warm up the wagon.  He goes out
> across the road, puts his tuba down behind his station wagon, decides
> to warm up the engine first, does so and then carefully backs up over
> his tuba, making it a four-ba.   We first tried to yell at him, then,
> finding that ineffective, started laughing so hard we were ashamed.
> He was scheduled to leave next morning on a flight to a gig somewhere
> in California.  He made the flight--in what condition and with what
> instrument I can't say.
>
> One more great Wallbridge story:
>
> Really, you gotta know Mike to appreciate this.  Wallbridge is not
> only the best tuba player in our Chicago clicque, but one of the best
> cornet player anyplace: in fact, I first fell in love with him on Jim
> Beebe's band at a gig on Navy Pier back on 1979--on cornet! What a
> lead line!  How musical!  Well--enough musical appreciation.  Here's
> some character:
>
> Mike, as have I myself, has been known from time to time to indulge in
> alcoholic beverages, at times, alas, unto the overserved state.  But
> while I get a bit, or more than a bit, combative, Mike gets loving and
> understanding.  So when a cop pulled him over on the way back from a
> gig, MIke didn't fight, nor should he have.  The cop led him not to
> the pokey but to a nearby Holiday Inn lot just off the Expressway,
> took his keys and said to cool it, he'd be back.
>
> He came back a hour later, MIke now completely sober, and gave him his
> keys.
>
> Mike could not have been more grateful: "Aw, man, you are such a nice
> Dude!   Thank you so much!  Hey, can I buy you a drink?"
>
> As I said, You need to know Mike....
>
> Charlie Hooks

> [...]
I also have some good tales to tell about Wallbanger -- however, I will
not here in this public forum. Just ask him to remember working with us
in the Sons of Bix in Sacramento and he and I rooming together, and the
midnight knock on the door to find Swedish drummer Bert Dahlander
standing there in his shorts. It was caused one of the big moments of
fear and trepidation in the life of Wallbanger, but he has to tell you
what he was doing on at that moment.
I also thank you for correcting the spelling of Chris Stend's name. Only
worked with Chris one time, when I subbed on trombone with the Salty
Dogs on a gig in Michigan. I had heard him before, but was especially
impressed with his playng while in the front line in front of him. Nice
fellow as well.
Don Ingle