[Dixielandjazz] Too many musicians, not enough gigs

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 13:56:25 PDT 2005

I'm with you Ric. IMO "Live" performances of music in front of regular
folks, is where to solution is. Classical and Jazz genres and musicians and
promoters are much too inbred. Most try and perform live only in front of a
shrinking audience of self appointed experts. Either at Festivals such as we
are familiar with in OKOM, or in Concert Halls.

What results is simply a proof of the law of diminishing returns.

Expanding the audience for either Jazz or Classical is a very simple task.
However, most musicians and band leaders automatically reject it for one
nonsensical reason or another.

Music Educators? IMO many, if not most, are simply trying to protect their
turf and so they too reject any ideas that might imperil their power. For
example, too many of them get a young sax player in hand and insist that
he/she transcribe/play every Bird Solo published as a method of learning
jazz saxophone, improvisation, or jazz in general. Utterly stupid.

Someone asked why there are no stylists today. Simple answer is that the
kids have been TAUGHT to copy and, please excuse my language, that is simply
Bullshit from the teaching musicians. If you teach copying, you get
semi-clones once removed from the original and the music is degraded.

For another general audience concert report, see this one from our concert
at a Township Park last Thursday. They loved it, notwithstanding that  5 out
of the 7 of us in the band were subs. Bear in mind we do not use charts, but
we all speak "Jazz". Audience about 300 people + 50 kids who besieged
Jonathan for his autograph when it was over. (No, you don't get that from a
CD either.)

>"Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:43:52 -0400
To: "Steve Barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
Subject: The Magic of Concerts by Barbone Street Jazz Band.

Steve, just a note to thank you so much for the concert on Thursday night in
Buckingham Township...Everyone enjoyed the music so much - it was a really
great night.  Jonathan was a special added feature that we enjoyed also.
Thank you all very much."

I am still getting raves from people who attended."
>Mary Jane Atkinson

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Ric Giorgi" <ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca> wrote