[Dixielandjazz] Re: Left Bank Bearcats

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Tue Jul 5 07:25:31 PDT 2005

Dear Bill (and Listers):

I doubt very much that there were two bands.  The 1957 LPs were partly
performances, partly musical jokes (hence the pseudonyms).  I was aware of
the records because friends of mine knew Al Leopold, and he had mentioned
recording them.  Once, to Leopold's absolute delight, a jazz aficionado
trying to impress him described (erroneously) having heard the Left Bank
Bearcats play in Paris.

My other two names come from an article titled "Elliott Lawrence" written by
Drew Techner (son of Joe Techner).  It reads in (very small) part:

"After the Steel Pier, Joe Techner returned to Philadelphia and, except for
summer tours at Lake George, NY or at the Jersey shore, he never returned to
the road again. He produced the demo for Joe Valino's "Learning The Blues"
which was quickly covered by Frank Sinatra and is another interesting story.
Joe's only other commercial output was under the fictitious name "Aron
Dubois" on the three 1957 Somerset budget Left Bank Bearcats (Dixieland)
albums with Al Leopold (Jan Savitt Orch.) on trombone and Joe Kuhn on bass
and tuba."

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
=======================================

From: "Bill Haesler" <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Left Bank Bearcats

Here are three more of the Left Bank Bearcats:
Joe Techner, trumpet
Al Leopold, trombone
Joe Kuhn, string bass and tuba.

OK Dave,
Where did that info come from?
We already have have:
Jaques Cas, d = Jack Cassidy (according to Ed Metz).
Aron Dubois, t
Marcel Durand, tb/ldr
Jacques Bonner, cl
Bernard Gaste, p
Robrt Eluist, bj
Louis Marquaint, g
& John Gautreax, tu

Maybe Dick Baker is right.
There were two bands called The Leftbank Bearcats during the late 50s.
One in Philadelphia and one in Paris.
Regards,
Bill.