[Dixielandjazz] Decoy

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Mon Jul 4 11:21:46 PDT 2005

Sorry, Tom, old lad

Your story may well have originated in Texas, but when I first heard it on Nov. 12th 1967 the pub was in England and it was told when the breathalyser was first introduced in Britain. I've just dug out my notes about the  ramble on the above date when Alf Morton told this joke. By coincidence, on this ramble we visited the pit disaster memorial in Silkstone churchyard. The pit was flooded on July 4th 1838, and among the victims were 7 year old Joe Birkinshaw and 8 year old Sarah Newton. The owner, R.C. Clarke, blamed the Almighty!

It may well have been in the same English pub that a Texan was boasting to the local yokels about the size of his ranch inTexas.
"When I drive round the boundary I have to fill the petrol tank four times."
To which one of the yokels replied "Yes, once I had a car like that."

Music content: very tenuous - "Don't Fence Me In" Velma Middleton with Louis Armstrong.

Cheers

Bob Smith