[Dixielandjazz] Jazz/Classics crossovers

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Jul 3 07:26:30 PDT 2005

luis daniel flores wrote:

>INteresting what you have write about this subject. I read that Bix
>Biederbecke also wanted to go to classic. Do you knoow anything about it?
>Luis
>Dr. Luis Daniel Flores FRCOG
>www.jazzysentimientos.com.ar
>domingos/Sundays 9:30/12:30 GMT

Bix was strongly influenced by impressionist/post impressionist
composers. That he was absorbing their concepts is plain in his piano
suite, In a Mist,, etc. but he was not able to transcribe his own work
for lack of a formal education in theory and pianistics, so fellow
Whiteman band member BillChallis wrote down what he played.
Bix loved the works of McDowell and other American composers like
Eastwood Lane, and Debussy and Ravel were among his favorites. That he
was headed towards a more modern concept, his own failings to take care
of himself did not allow this creative soul to achieve what would have
been his eventual musical goals.
Sadly, too many potential great mements in music never arrived because
the tempations of the booze, drugs, or other failures to a person's
health cut them off from their final destination.
Moral -- Don't confuse a good time with greatness -- no drunk sounds as
good as he thinks he does!
Don Ingle