[Dixielandjazz] Jazz/Classics crossovers

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Jul 3 07:07:35 PDT 2005

Fred Spencer wrote:

> Dear Luis Daniel,
> I think that quite a few jazz musicians were taught by classical
> performers. Benny Goodman, Jimmie Noone, and Buster Bailey were all
> students of Franz Schoepp who probably played with the Chicago
> Symphony Orchestra, but BG was the only one who continued with the
> classics. Fred Elizalde, who fought in the Spanish Civil War, forsook
> jazz completely as did Mel Powell except for, at least, a shipboard CD
> in 1987 and one or more movies. Cheers.
> Fred
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "luis daniel flores"
> <luda at arnet.com.ar>

My own first teacher and a mentor for years, Red Nichols, was trained at
a highly professional level by his father, a professor of music at Weber
College in Ogden UT.. Red's sister played cello with the San Francisco
Symphany and the level of education in music in his family was at the
highest.
My own father, Red Ingle, though noted more for his sax playing and his
comedic talents with Spike Jones and his own Natural Seven, was schooled
from age five to 13  in classical violin (until a cousin gave him a
saxophone). He was, from time to time, coached in fine points of playing
the violin by Fritz Kreisler, a close friend of Red's father's employers
who were Austrians and long time friends of the great violinist.
Whenever Kreisler was in the country for a tour, he always took a break
to spend time with the Tiedke family in Toledo, OH, and he had taken an
interest in "young Ernst" -- Ernest Jansen Ingle a.k.a. "Red". (The
Jansen middle name from Red's mother, a talented red-haried lady skilled
in playing piano and with a brush and canvas. Being of  Dutch heritage,
she encouraged Red's training in all arts.) The Ingles were Scottish and
believed in hard work and regular Church attendance, which translated in
Red's case in good discipline in musical mattters, but perhaps a bit of
backsliding that led to such later works as "Cigareets and Whusky and
Wild, Wild Wimmen."
Many musicians in our jazz ranks had similar training and mentoring on
the way to their careers. While one can admire the native talents of the
self-taught, school of hard knocks players we can admire, having a good
solid foundation along the way doesn't hurt either.
Sorry if I sound long-winded  about my dad's background, but he was a
most talented man with his own place in jazz history including a direct
connection with Bix and other great players in our jazz pantheon. It is,
perhaps, the dawning of awarenes that 2006 will be the Centennial Year
fRed Ingle's birth, and my mind seems to be filling with so many
recollections of a very funny man, a very talented player, and the best
"older brother" a son could have.
Don Ingle
So many names, so many tales, so little time to tell them.
Don Ingle