[Dixielandjazz] Military Bands & Jazz

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 2 21:31:19 PDT 2005

Perhaps one of the reasons for thinking that Military Bands were a major
source at the beginning of jazz is the comment that Nick LaRocca of ODJB
fame made trying to convince others about the origins of jazz:

LaRocca said later in life that his music, in fact all jazz, was not
influenced by blacks at all. "Our music is strictly white man's music. We
patterned our earlier efforts after military marches, which we heard in park
concerts in our youth. Many writers have attributed this rhythm that we
introduced as something coming from the African jungles and crediting the
Negro race with it. My contention is that the Negroes learned to play this
rhythm and music from the whites . . . The Negro did not play any kind of
music equal to white men at any time."

Another reason might be The Hellfighter Band (James Reece Europe) ragtime
performances like the one at the Nantes Opera House in France in February
1917. According to their vocalist, Nobel Sissle:

"The men played French marches, "The Stars and Stripes Forever", plantation
melodies, and ragtime pieces, which the French had never heard before. Then
came the fireworks, 'Memphis Blues'. . . cornet and clarinet players began
to manipulate the notes in that typical rhythm which no artist has put down
on paper. The audience could stand it no longer, the jazz germ hit them and
seemed to find a vital spot, loosening all muscles and causing what is known
in America as 'eagle rocking it'".

And war correspondent Irvin S., Cobb added: "When they played the 'Memphis
Blues' the men did not march, the music poured in at their ears and ran down
to their heels, and instead of marching they literally danced along. I think
surely this must be the best regimental band in our Army. Certainly it is
the best one I have heard in Europe during this war."