[Dixielandjazz] Jazz/Classics crossovers

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat Jul 2 21:22:35 PDT 2005

Dear Luis Daniel,
I think that quite a few jazz musicians were taught by classical performers.
Benny Goodman, Jimmie Noone, and Buster Bailey were all students of Franz
Schoepp who probably played with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, but BG was
the only one who continued with the classics. Fred Elizalde, who fought in
the Spanish Civil War, forsook jazz completely as did Mel Powell except for,
at least, a shipboard CD in 1987 and one or more movies. Cheers.
Fred