[Dixielandjazz] Glory, Hallelujah

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 12:55:44 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/2/2005 3:00:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

But  Julia Howe
got the melody and the concept from an older song about an  American
abolitionist (one who wanted to end slavery) who died earlier.  The original
lyrics about John Broiwn went as follows:

John Brown's  body lies a-mouldering in the grave,
John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in  the grave,

Bill Gunter, unfortunately made the same historical mistake many musicians
have made on this song. According to a variety of expert sources, (I perform
this song and tell the history each year), the words to our version were
written  by Julia Ward Howe, a noted Boston poet of her day. The music came from an
old  Methodist hymn, Glory Hallelujah, but nobody knows who wrote it. Before
the John Brown that attempted to start a revolution to free the slaves by
taking  over a federal armory at Harper's Ferry, (a very bold abolitionist who was
 promptly captured and hung), there was a Union army sergeant by the same
name.  The first time the words, "a-moudering in his grave," were used concerned
this  sergeant. It was only much later, as the Civil War got underway that the
second  John Brown was assumed to be the subject. Just thought you'd like to
know.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink