[Dixielandjazz] Re: Copyrights

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Jan 28 09:46:08 PST 2005

In a related area of tracking radio air-play, the RIAA (along with
ASCAP/BMI - I guess) wants every station to provide something like 17
pieces of information about EVERY song played! Not just the artist,
track and album name - they wanted release dates, sidemen, publisher
and all sorts of other "useful" data. The AFM supports this reporting
(it is often mentioned in the national newsletter) but I don't see how
it will really help the average union member.

Those of you who are in to discography know how hard it is to come up
with this sort of information - most major label CDs don't  provide it
and older music in our library certainly does not have the information.
  A lot of the music we get at KFJC is self-published or produced in
other countries. It would take a staff of people (that we don't have)
to document and report to the RIAA. We, along with a few other
non-commercial stations petitioned the RIAA for relief and now we just
pay a minimal "non-reporting fee." The chances of any RIAA money
actually getting to most of the musicians we play are infinitesimal!

Dave Richoux