[Dixielandjazz] Re: Copyrights

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Fri Jan 28 09:06:09 PST 2005

Some of you might recall my ASCAP story of a year ago. A brief summary now:

ASCAP suddenly started writing and calling the restaurant where we play every Monday night. The owner finally called me about it. He was already paying ASCAP for the canned music piped in through the speakers and resented that they were asking for another sum just because he now had live music once a week for two hours.

I called ASCAP directly and the rep admitted that, although we were playing some Irving Berlin tunes (for example), the funds wouldn't necessarily go to Berlin's descendants. The rep did not even know at what year a tune became public domain. 1924? 1930? No clue. She even said that ASCAP was formed in 1914 and any song written after that was theirs. Sheesh. Even I know better than that.

Finally I asked how they found out about our playing in the restaurant. She said that "Larry", a retired ASCAP man, had eaten at the restaurant and heard our group. He immediately went home, called ASCAP, and "reported" us.

Unbelievable.

Oh, how does it end? The owner is paying ASCAP the additional $280 a year to have us play two hours a week. Of course, he insisted that we cut our fee by $5 a week to help make it back.

I don't get upset easily but ASCAP pisses me off.

Dave
Dave Gravatt
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band