[Dixielandjazz] Carson and Severinsen

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 10:43:27 PST 2005

A digest or two ago someone asked if Doc Severinsen (spelling?) was an
OKOMer. He was in my memory, having seen him on various tours playing
Dixieland as well as Swing & Straight Ahead. Not only that, but he was a
fiery player in a 100% jazz situation as well as a master of his horn. How
fortunate he was to be with Carson also, and make a good living.

Here is a vignette from another chat list.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Cbulletbob at aol.com wrote on the Stan Kenton Chat List:

"Watching Johnny's very last show from May 22, 1992,  with only Ed and Doc,
I enjoyed the following exchange between Johnny and  Doc."

Johnny:  "To say television is losing the last big  swing band in the world
and to say this band is not hip is not to know the  meaning of the world
hip.  Young and hip are not synonymous."

Doc:  "Thank you for a place to play our music."

RIP Johnny Carson.