[Dixielandjazz] Peg LaCentra

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Thu Jan 27 02:59:07 PST 2005

Hi, Listmates.

During a recent spate of "salutes" to Artie Shaw", a friend of
mine--serious record collector land host of a Big Band radio show--Bill
Korst, by name., provided me with a recording of early 1937 and 38 Shaw
recordis.  One of the tunes was a long-forgotten "No More Tears" by
Burton Lane and Ralph Freed.  Loved the song, but what really got to me
was the vocal by Peg LaCentra.

Are any of you familiar with her?  Her voice was dazzingly New Yorkish
and stylish, very much like Lee Wiley's to my ears.  She really kncked
me out.  Let me tell you it's tough to fall in love at my age.
But it's too late now.  She passed on in 1998, I discovered.  Was
married to the actor Paul Stewart, who quite recently died.

Incidentally, that particular Shaw recording had his string quartet in
the band.  Sounded great.

Regards, Harold Smith