[Dixielandjazz] RE: "MARDI GRAS: MADE IN CHINA"

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Jan 26 17:36:27 PST 2005

Bill, and All

Several of the OKOM bands I am in have performed in venues that use
"mardi gras" beads to throw to the audience. Other members of these
groups (mostly not on DJML) and I have discussed this practice and the
economics of "cheap beads." I thought that a review of an upcoming film
directly on this topic might be of interest to the entire list, as the
subject of Mardi Gras Beads has come up from time to time in the past
on this list.

  I have not seen the film, but I will be looking for it . The film may
be a lot more than "a recitation of a gross social injustice exploiting
Chinese workers in a bead factory," but I won't know that until I see
it. Exploitation of workers in a bead factory and exploitation of
musicians in a jazz factory (as Bourbon Street New Orleans has become)
are related - and worth topics for this list, in my opinion!

However, until the film is available I will suggest tabling the
discussion!

Dave Richoux (too much Robert's Rules of Order lately in another part
of my life ;-)